Grape Variety: 55% Garnacha, 45% Cariñena
Aging Potential: Drink now through 2022
Serving Temperature: 16 °C
Alcohol Level: 14.5%
Bottle Size: Magnum (150cl)
Les Terrasses is the second wine of Álvaro Palacios. Set alongside the great wines, Ermita and Finca Dofí, Les Terrasses is produced under simpler guidelines, easy, relaxed and more diverse in nature, yet nevertheless it still has a great personality and a good balance of opulence and elegance. Produced from grapes which the winery acquires from small vine-growers in the Priorat whom they themselves advise and manage, Les Terrasses spends a year in French oak barrels, 20% of which are new and the remaining 80% are in their second or third year, used in the production of earlier wines. Matured for 12 months in French oak barrels, some new and others in their second or third year of use.
If anyone embodies the promise and spirit of “The New Spain,” it is Alvaro Palacios. His L’Ermita is widely considered—along with Peter Sisseck’s Dominio de Pingus— to be the most important Spanish wine in a generation.
One of nine children born to the owners of Rioja’s respected Palacios Remondo, Alvaro studied enology in Bordeaux, while working under Jean-Pierre Moueix at Ch. Pétrus. He credits his tenure at Pétrus for much of his winemaking philosophy and for showing him “the importance of great wines.”
Alvaro could have returned to the security of his family’s domaine. Instead, he was drawn to remote and wildly beautiful Priorat, 60 miles from Barcelona, which had been one of Spain’s important pre-Phylloxera wine regions. With its unique terroir of steep hills and terraces Alvaro believed that here he could make a wine that was like a cross between Pétrus and Grange.
He acquired his first vineyard, Finca Dofí, in 1990. Then, in 1993, he located what is now regarded as the crown jewel property in Priorat, a precipitous, northeast-facing Garnacha vineyard on well-drained schist that had been planted between 1900 and 1940. Alvaro named it for a small chapel, or hermitage, that sits atop the hill - L'Ermita.
|Grape Variety||55% Garnacha, 45% Cariñena|
|Wine Closure||Natural Cork|
|Wine Spectator||93 Points|